Thursday, July 14, 2005

Bush and sea

All I can say is thank goodness I packed my beenie, gloves and neck warmer! Binna Burra Lodge is in the Lamington National Park, SW of the Gold Coast and about 1 1/2 hours south of Brisbane. It is 770m above sea level, hence the icy temperatures!. We managed to do a few walks and activities to keep us warm and out of trouble - my Dad and I even tried the Flying Fox, a 165m long cable which you fly down in a harness and helmet. We also heard/saw about 3 million different birds, plus we spotted a family of mini kanagroos (I think they have a proper name which I don't know yet) chilling in the forest..

The following day we checked out and drove for half an hour to the polo farm where I will be working for 4 months (assuming the 2 week trial is sucessful). It is literally in the middle of nowhere! I decided I'm either going to go mad from lack of entertainment, or I'm going to enjoy it so much that I won't want to leave! I start at the end of July, working with another groom for a guy called Michael King who owns the whole place - the two of us look after all his horses so that he can play polo! In the mornings we feed, groom, clean etc and then in the afternoon we exercise them by cantering along on one horse while leading 2,3 or 4 others. The cool part is that there are 4 tournaments lasting about 2 weeks each, so we get to see a bit of NSW, including Melbourne for the November Melbourne Cup!

45 mins later in the car, and we hit the Gold Coast. What an awesome stretch of coast - white sandy beaches for miles, flanked by skyscraping apartment blocks. I had my first swim in the Pacific and am happy to say that it's far warmer than Clifton, and a bath compared to North Devon!!

On our way home I got a call from a guy from Manchester that I met on the plane - he's living in Toowoomba and working for the Queensland Rugby League board, so came and picked me up to go to my first rugby league game! It was the students World Cup so the footie was great to watch but the eye candy was soooooooooo much more worth it! Yummy young, fit boys in tight clothes!!

No comments: