Saturday, March 04, 2006

Trying to take it easy

After our East As trip, we spent Saturday night in Taupo and the others all went out and all hooked up (boo hoo I missed out) but I was a nerd and read my book in bed, hoping to fix my back overnight!
Then we spent 2 nights in River Valley, a little lodge on a river where they do river rafting and horse riding. It was really beautiful and peaceful, and I was in my element doing a 2000 piece jigsaw puzzle, reading my book and catching up on my diary. The others went rafting and raved about it, so I felt a little bleak that I had to miss out (as well as the horse riding!). We made friends with the staff and had fun playing cards and drinking games with them both nights...




Then it was off to Wellington for 2 nights. We only got in pretty late but managed to make a massive pile of pancakes for Pancake Day (Shrove Tuesday??) before getting dolled up to go out for a quiet few... One of the bus drivers had had a few too many and forgot that I was a bit fragile, and pretty much rugby tackled me on the dance floor! I was soooooooooo angry, but managed to forget about it, drink some more (to numb the pain) and stay out till 5 in the morning at some random Irish pub where we played noughts and crosses on my ripped jeans. The next day we had Nandos for lunch (mmmmmm) followed by some retail therapy, followed by some culture at the Te Papa (national museum). We had a nice chilled evening cos we had an early start the next morning for the 8:30 ferry crossing.





Thursday we crossed over the Cook Straits and luckily it was pretty calm cos the last two days have had 10m waves etc. That night (in Nelson) we decided to go for a quiet game of pool. We all played pretty well, possibly cos we were trying to impress the group of gorgeous guys at the table next to us. Turns out there were more of them, all on a stag night, so we ended up jumping in their campervan to the strip club!! It was a really fun evening, but once again it was marred by the drunken stag who didn't understand why I kept saying NO I can't dance now, and hoisted me up by my waist and spun me round and round on the dancefllor while I screamed my lungs out at him to put me down. I felt like my back had been broken in half... so I dragged Natalie off to the bar for tequila! Then Gus, one of the guys, suggested we do a tequila suicide (snort the salt, drink the tequila and squirt the lemon in your eye) so I eagerly agreed. Can't believe it's taken me so long to do one (Kim??????!!!!).




I've been traveling with Natalie and Jess, two English girls, and it's been so nice, plus we'll still travel together for another 10 days or so. It just makes it so easy cos we cook together, drag each other out, share box wine/goon/papsak (and the last two nights we've played Slap the Bag which was hilarious), try and find parallelogram courgettes in our pasta cos it means we'll get lucky...

No comments: