Friday, December 09, 2005

I'm a skydiver!


Yip, we did it!





The clouds disappeared and we couldn't have had more perfect jumping conditions. Plus it was just Olivia and me and our crew (pilot, our 2 personal cameramen and our 2 tandem jumpers) so it was rather fun and relaxed. I was expecting the flight in the tiny plane to be bumpy and nauseating, but it was surprisingly smooth and pleasant, except for the OPEN door which was about a metre away from me. All that was between me and the open door was Cameron my cameraman, who kept moving around to take photos and videos, making me feel very uncomfortable cos I wasn't strapped in or anything! Also surprising was that it wasn't cold at 14000ft, nor did my ears go funny cos of air pressure changes. Then suddenly it was time - I realised we (me and Glen) were going first and that they weren't joking when they said that Cameron was going to fling himself out of the plane and hold onto a tiny bar by the door so that he could capture our exit on film. Glen firmly nudged me closer to the open door until my knees were dangling over the edge. We rocked back and forth twice and on the third we disappeared into the air. That's when Olivia freaked out, cos we just disappeared into thin air in a split second, and she knew she was following!
The 60 second free fall was awesome - we did some spins and I managed to spell out "TIM" with my arms twice! Glen and Cameron did some signals to each other and I figured it was cord-pulling time. Boy did that feel like we were getting ricket-launched back up into the sky! Then it was so quiet and calm, and Glen and I chatted about random things while we floated over the ocean which was dotted with palm-lined islands and fringed with an endless white sandy beach. And the beach landing was just toooo smooth! It was all too easy! But we were on a high for days, telling everynoe and anyone about it, regardless of if they were interested or not.
I'd love to post some photos, but I haven't yet had the film developed. Also, my camera has gone all blurry so I'll have to get that repaired in Brisbane when I get back. Thankfully the people I'm travelling with all love taking photos as much as I do, so I'll get all of theirs at the end of the trip, and when I've had enough of lazing around in the sun and sea and bars I'll make sure I put some pics up!

[Back in Brisbane, got heaps of pics so here goes...] This is our hostel in Mission Beach (Scotties)

and this is me, Olivia and Michelle chilling on Dunk Island for the day...

No comments: